Saturday, September 01, 2007

Once

I saw the most wonderful movie this afternoon—“Once,” an Irish film about a Dublin musician and a Czech girl who meet and change each others’ lives. It’s a sweet, lovely story that doesn’t feel at all staged. It’s more like we’re eavesdropping on these people’s lives. It’s not a movie for children. Not that there’s anything objectionable about it, save for a bit of language here and there. I just don’t think there’s enough action to keep kids involved.

But, oh, adults, treat yourselves to this. The music is incredible. I left the theatre and headed straight for the music store to buy the soundtrack. The songs are infectious and haunting, and now that I’m home and have been doing a bit of online research, I see why. Glen Hansard, who plays the Dublin musician, is apparently a huge star in Ireland, the lead singer and guitarist of the Irish band The Frames. I’m glad I finally know this. I’ve really been missing out on something terrific.

2 comments:

Amy McAuley said...

I've been looking forward to seeing this movie for a while, Lisa! Good to hear you liked it!

Lisa Harkrader said...

Hi, Amy. Yes, I loved this movie, and now that I've listened to the soundtrack and the lyrics to the songs, I think I understand the movie even more.

Thanks for commenting!
Lisa